海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: chapter 10
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 chapter 10   
[博客]
[个人文集]

头衔: 海归中将

头衔: 海归中将
声望: 学员

加入时间: 2005/06/06
文章: 5263
来自: 外星
海归分: 664766

文章标题: chapter 10 (755 reads)      时间: 2005-6-29 周三, 05:05   

作者:250海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

Chapter 10 My Career…the Stuff I Do for a Living

Just when I was at the peak of my quality time with Alice, my mobile phone rang. I took it out of my pocket and realized it was from Bob, my boss, as indicated on the LCD screen. Shit, Bob knew when and how to call to spoil my mood. I wish this guy would go on a vacation somewhere and leave me alone for as long as he could afford!

“Hey Bob, my man! Good to hear from you again! What’s going on?!” I put on my cheery cheap sales tone again.

“I don’t know, you tell me! Where the heck are you? I thought you would have dragged your sorry ass back to your office by now! Some of us have to work for a living here, you know?”

“Bob, I just came out of the hospital, I am sure you would understand that I am still in this condition…”

Bob cut me off right away: “Ming, I am sorry you have this condition thing, but if you do not come back and pick up the workloads, we are all going to have our condition things in no time! You are not one of those what Mao used to call us Americans, right?”

“Care to elaborate on that, Bob?”

“Paper Tiger, Ming! Are you a paper tiger?”

“No, of course not, I am a fucking dragon!”

“There you go, that’s my boy! Then come up here and join us all right now! Your own team misses you!” Bob hung up on his end.

Yeah, right! Everyone on the team just could not wait for me to go back there and kick their lazy butt and drive them to work, while they are now on paid vacations at the office because of my absence. Bob was bull shitting the bull-shitter! Did he take me as I was born yesterday? Or was he a natural retard to begin with? Some people skill he picked up from his Marine Corp times, I ain’t your fucking soldier! “Paper Tiger”?! Next thing you knew he would be calling me a communist! Could not believe I had to deal with this kind of cold war mentalities! Why didn’t they ship his fat ass to somewhere like Iraq or Afghanistan where he could serve the country better?

Well, I could bitch all about it anyway I like to, but Bob was right: as long as I have bills to pay (at this point I still had no idea either about my income nor about my living costs yet) I would just have to “drag my sorry ass back to my office”! Life, one minute you thought you were on top of the world, next minute you may sink straight down to a deep shit hole where you call work place!

It seemed to be logical that there were things people want and things people need: we do not need to work on jobs we do not like but pays better, we want to do things that typically do not get paid for or at least not paid well enough. So there you had it: Be a man and a happy but poor man, or be a man, a miserable but financially better off man. But what was the point to seek financial independence when you became a money slave and allow your employer to treat you like dirt? Life in a capitalist system that I came here for over a decade ago from a communist system, is this what I wanted? No wonder they say: watch out for what you wish for, as they might just come true for you! Well, here I was, busted my ass to stay afloat so I could pay my bills, all driven by my greedy desire (just like any of my colleagues or neighbors) for endless materialized possession…

I never liked Bob from day one, (and had been trying so hard not to show it, but I believed he knew that he was never popular around the company, but he did not care about this.) but I knew he was right: Bob’s infamous theory was that “those are liked will end up on their way out, those are hated always find themselves on the way up”. Between nine to five, we were there to work, not to socialize, so no one had to like or be liked, as long as the jobs were done right and in time, we all got to go home with a pay check we sign ourselves up for. We worked long after hours and gave up on weekend time, and accepted this kind of business practices as part of our life style! If we do not show up at work, the company will lose the business, and we would lose our jobs. So I kissed off Alice and left her out there by herself, again, while got back into the car and headed for San Jose, my shot hole office.

My phone rang again. This time, it was Johnny.

“Hey, Boss man, what’s up?”
Johnny sounded in good mood as he could always manage to stay in no matter what kind of shit flies around over his head. He was very good at dealing with this sort of things and thus had been my headache: He could never get things done in time. You could ask or demand or bang on his desk, it would never make any difference. He would smile and tell you he was going to take care that, and you would always see him busy, but things were never done in time or right at the same time, if it was his projects. He would always leave something out and got me in trouble! He’s a nice guy and being a reasonable Chinese, I had running out of ideas how to motivate him! He probably need evil guys like Bob to come here personally kick his ass, and to force him to turn out on schedule. This may work for a few hours, but then everything goes right back to his routine. There was never any pressure for him! He was born to handle the fast paced environment by not moving in synch…I had been trying to keep him from being kicked out.

“Johnny, everything is down, nothing is up!”

“Not even your little thing there? You have got to be kidding me! Aren’t you with Alice?”

“You knew about Alice?”

“Of course, man! I told you it was on the news! The girl was riding on the back of your bike, right? But, hey, your secret is safe here with me, except for the entire bay area was covered by the TV. I was the only guy linked between that little accident and your…play mate or soul mate, whatever…are you going to tell the brother what you were up to?”

“Hey, Johnny! Did Bob come over and bug you?”

“Of course he did! That was supposed to be your job but you were out having fun with your little lady, so he volunteered himself to come in and hassle me…”

“So what is he up to?”

“Don’t tell me you cannot wait to come back to work, brother!”

“Bob already called me twice!”

“Oh, the evil bastard! He will go straight to hell from here!”

“I thought we were already there: all of us right now, if you think about what we have to go through day in and day out!”

“Hey, that’s a good one! I like it! I think I am going to have to steal your line on this one!”

“You know what, Johnny? I’ d love to stay and chat, but got to go! See you at the office in a bit!”

“You mean see me in hell? Wouldn’t want to start without you, Dude!”

“Whatever, Bro! Whatever!”

I dialed through the number for Blanca: “Hello Blanca! How are we doing today?”

“Ming? Are you OK? Oh, you would not believe it, Bob had just come over and he wanted this and that…I told him, talk to Ming!”

“You did the right thing, Blanca! Now tell me, Did they find a food candidate to replace me?”

“Nay, they wish! I think you are covered because of a couple of clients they do not want to lose. Did you threaten them to take the clients away if you leave the company? Don’t matter you did it or not, it is working! I heard they had just decided to put it on the hold.”

“Blanca, would you do me a big favor?”

“Sure, what would you need?”

“Run up the entire list of all our clients, and set up meetings with each and everyone of them for me. I want to conduct a customer satisfaction mini work out series!”

“Smart move, Ming! These guys are your bargain chips, you need hold on really tight to them! I am on it already, Ming!”

“Thanks, Blanca! What would I do without you?!”

“No need to sugar talk me, Ming, just bring me some more of those Chinese weird stuff would do for me!”

“You got it, Blanca! Next time I go to China, I will come to you before I leave!”

“You are the man, Ming!”

“And you are the lady, Blanca!” I hung up the phone and dialed the number for Bob.

“Hey, Bob, this is Ming again!”

“OK, Ming!”

“I am thinking to run a customer satisfaction work out minis series in the next two weeks…”

“Why?” Again, Bob cut me off with his immediate question.

“Well, for you, this means credit that you can take by put it on company news letter and corporate web site, when the customers praise our works…”

“OK, cut the chase! I can take care of myself, thank you! What’s in this for you?”

“Oh, just to the best interests of the customers would assure our competitive position in the market, and hence to the ultimate interests of the company…”

“Yeah, yeah, all that fancy stuff! Just make sure you do not personalize the company client base and add to your own asset, do we understand each other?”

“I don’t understand why you put it that way…”

“Hey, Ming. I don’t care! Do whatever you want to do, but I want no time wasted on this new games that my projects are delayed, OK?!”

“OK!” I sighed. What a classical model asshole I got at the work place!

I dialed the number for Blanca again: “Blanca, this is Ming. I will be in the office in 10 minutes or so. Please get everyone on the team for a full assembly at the small conference room in 10 minutes. We need to review the new projects and allocate the action items.”

作者:250海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
A fresh chapter of alter Cheap air jo... 生活风情 2012-3-22 周四, 11:48
[分享]Message In A Bottle CHAPTER 3-1 2... 海归商务 2011-8-03 周三, 13:44
Chapter 2 - Eavesdropping Part IV (Tr... 海归茶馆 2011-7-01 周五, 15:19
Chapter 2 - Eavesdropping Part III (T... 海归茶馆 2011-7-01 周五, 15:19
Chapter 2 - Eavesdropping Part II (Tr... 海归茶馆 2011-7-01 周五, 15:18
Chapter 2 - Eavesdropping Part I (Tra... 海归茶馆 2011-7-01 周五, 15:18
落山鸡的Apex Digital申请Chapter 11 破产 海归主坛 2010-8-20 周五, 03:29
[贴图][BW新闻] Madoff Pleads Guilty - Clo... 海归主坛 2009-3-14 周六, 11:41

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 250离线  发送站内短信
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.