海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: [转帖]Short-Selling China Stocks Is Game for Pros
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 [转帖]Short-Selling China Stocks Is Game for Pros   
BWolfe_2001

警告次数: 1

头衔: 海归准将

头衔: 海归准将
声望: 博导
性别: 性别:男年龄: 44
加入时间: 2009/01/15
文章: 1222
来自: 堪培拉
海归分: 101100

文章标题: [转帖]Short-Selling China Stocks Is Game for Pros (1626 reads)      时间: 2010-12-03 周五, 08:58   

作者:BWolfe_2001海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

BEIJING (TheStreet) -- When you watch a stock like RINO International(RINO_) or China Education Alliance(CEU_) plummet by 50% to 60% in one or two days, short-selling may look like an attractive game to play.
But in my opinion, the risk vs. reward tradeoff is very unattractive for individual investors.
First, the best you can do is make 100%, and that is only if the stock you short goes to zero. Second, borrowing the stock can be difficult and very expensive. Third, your potential losses are infinite because there is no telling how high a stock can go. Lastly, when shorting, timing is everything. You could have been right about RINO being a fraud and shorted it when it was at $15.00, but the stock still ran to $30.00 and you would have lost 100%. Unless you are a short attack artist who knows the timing of the release of a damaging report about a company, shorting puts you at a distinct disadvantage.
In any event, it seems there is a new short-seller in town going by the name of Kerrisdale Capital. This company recently issued a 28-page report claiming that China Education Alliance is a fraud devoid of students, desks and teachers and that its online Web service (the company's main revenue driver) doesn't even function. China Education Alliance is a NYSE-listed company that was trading at $5.50 before the report's release, giving it a market cap of about $150 million. The short attack caused shares to plummet about 60% to as low as $2.34.
Shares rebounded by as much as 18% on heavy volume Wednesday on no news and closed up 12.2% at $3.03. People keep asking me, "Was that the short cover? Are they gone?" It is difficult to say, but I am guessing the answer is no.
China Education Alliance is scheduled to hold an investor conference call on Tuesday, Dec. 7 to address the report. If the call goes well, shares could rise. But I would expect Kerrisdale to issue a new report rebutting the company's statements on the call and launch a new short attack, driving shares down again.
Keep in mind, too, that the short-sellers' full-time job is to be on the attack, while management has the disadvantage of having a company to run, so they simply can't respond to every attack, every day. In this sense, the short-seller definitely has the upper hand.
Another question people keep asking me is, "Is CEU a fraud?" I don't know, but I am looking into the fraud claims. I have already spoken with the company's chairman and CFO, but so far they are mostly aggregating questions to address on the conference call as opposed to giving specific responses, which is understandable at this point in time. Once I have better information, I will share it here.
People have also asked me about the implications of stock halts, as in the case of RINO International. When a short-seller sells shares, he or she receives the proceeds of the sale into his or her account and then pays interest on that money. Until the short-seller buys back shares and closes the position, he or she continues to pay interest at a rate of as much as 100% per year.
Keep in mind that stock halts can last a long time. In the case of China Northeast Petroleum(NEP_), trading was halted for months. If you are a short-seller paying about 8% per month to borrow shares, those payments can really eat into your return.
As for options, I have confirmed that out-of-the-money options expire worthless if a stock is halted. For example, if you bought $4.00 strike put options on RINO and the stock remained halted at expiration, the options would expire worthless even if the stock subsequently went to zero. RINO's last traded price was $6.07.
I am a long-only investor, but I have been monitoring the stock-borrow situation on Orient Paper(ONP_) closely via several brokers, and it seems to be freeing up from time to time. In fact, people are closing their shorts and then reshorting the stock. In other words, in the absence of further news in the wake of the company's clean investigation report, short-sellers are simply toying with the stock within the $7.00-$7.50 range.
Can they actually make any money this way? The answer is yes. However, short-sellers bear a lot of risk and need to very adept traders. Their strategy is to buy small bits to close out their positions without pushing up the price too much. Then they dump big blocks all at once to spook other investors into selling. As the stock rises during subsequent session, the short-sellers will then close out their positions.
I have noticed that ONP has been trading somewhat erratically over the past few days, and I attribute this to short-sellers gaming the stock. It is particularly noticeable given that the stock jumps significantly at exactly 4 p.m. EST, which is when shorts close their positions for the day, possibly to meet margin calls.
Oddly I actually don't mind the presence of the short-sellers. The drops in price that they create give me the chance to pick up shares on the cheap. Also, their very presence means there will be occasional short squeezes lifting the stock.
I expect the final short squeezes on Orient Paper to occur when Roth Capital reinitiates its coverage of the company. That will create a very, very bad day for the shorts. Orient Paper's closing price Wednesday was $7.27. Short interest has been steadily declining and now stands at only 600,000 shares, down from 800,000 shares previously.
Professional short-sellers can make quite a lot of money by creating fear and panic if they do it systematically, but my recommendation is that unless you want to spend the time and effort to create your very own short-attack report, shorting is best left to the pros.
At the time of publication, Pearson owned shares of Orient Paper.
--Written by Rick Pearson in Beijing.

作者:BWolfe_2001海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
CHINA STATE TELEVISION SAYS CSRC APPR... 海归主坛 2010-1-08 周五, 17:11
[转帖]Top China Stocks (in the US stock... 海归主坛 2010-1-08 周五, 13:43
昨天晚上,德国发难,禁止 naked short selling on e... 海归主坛 2010-5-20 周四, 02:53
[转帖]Obama to China: Uncensored societ... 海归主坛 2009-11-16 周一, 21:10
China stocks in ADR? 谈股论金 2009-5-05 周二, 22:39
Anyone interested in SKF here? Short... 谈股论金 2008-7-22 周二, 02:59
[转帖]David Marshall: China's 'Wake-up ... 海归主坛 2007-6-28 周四, 20:11
[ZT] Greenspan Says China Stocks May ... 海归主坛 2007-5-24 周四, 05:06

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 BWolfe_2001离线  发送站内短信 发送电子邮件
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.